When you buy a wallet like our THIN BOLD WALLET in rustic saddle leather, you admire the rustic beauty and a broken-in feel. It’s vegetable-tanned, aniline, milled shoulders, and 100% Italian.
Can we say…
You may know this, but leather ages beautifully! Yes, it may take time, but with a little bit of patience and the right technique there are a few things you should do no matter which look you prefer. We consulted with Amber, our resident leatherologist. Here, we narrowed down her tips:
1. Natural remedy If you’re working with a small scuff or light scratch on a veg-tanned leather. Use two fingers and squeeze the scratch so that it’s raised. After it’s raised rub the area with your fingertip. The natural oils on your figures generally run out the marks.
2. Be gentle For a little dirt: just use a damp (not wet) cloth. (Gently rub – don’t scrub – for removal) If leather gets too wet; dry it slowly in room temperature. Using a blow dryer may cause the leather to stiffen and may even crinkle. Don’t use soap or caustic chemicals. For those aggressive stains and grime – we suggest using something like Apple Leather Cleaner that will help preserve the natural lubricating oils instead of stripping them.
Remember: Before cleaning leather, always spot-test in an inconspicuous area before use.
3. Always follow-up To maintain the leather’s soft, supple feel and appearance; use a wax-free conditioner, such as Apple Leather Conditioner. The appropriate treatment of a leather item depends on its condition, so make sure to follow-up with a good cleaning at least twice a year.
4. Storing Remember that leather is a natural material and should be stored in a breathable bag, not plastic. Ventilation prevents leather from drying out and cracking. They are better in cardboard boxes and wrapped in paper.
5. Ensure a long life Leather is like skin, if you take good care of it and you’ll notice the difference. Although leather is very durable, it is not indestructible.
Well, that’s it from our leatherologist for now. Got your own DIY techniques for leather care? Share with us.
Shop our selection of men’s leather wallets here. For a general guideline to help ensure a long life for any type of leather – details here.